Dear Scera Park Families,
Welcome to the best school year ever! I don’t know if you can feel it, but we can…there is excitement in the air! Everyday, I love watching the children happily come in the doors of the school. Our school theme this year is “The Happiest Place on Earth”, and we have Disney quotes around the school. Scera Park has a magic feeling you sense when you walk in. People comment about it all the time. We know this feeling exists because of our fabulous, caring staff and the wonderful, precious students you send to us each day. They make our school a magical place to be, and we celebrate being able to be part of such a great community of caring families.
Perhaps you have seen the teachers wearing our Apollo Project lab coats and have wondered, “What is the Apollo Project?” Our teachers were lucky enough this summer to participate in a collaborative effort with six other Orem schools (Cascade, Foothill, Hillcrest, Northridge, Orchard, and Sharon). They learned about the Engineering Design Process and how to better prepare students for the future. It was so fun to watch as the teachers had to solve problems using collaboration, creativity, critical thinking and great communication. Though it was tough at times trying to find answers that weren’t obvious, they persevered and learned a lot. They are super excited and have begun sharing this hands-on, minds-on approach to learning with our students. We have found some community partners and are looking forward to sharing more about this with you.
So many great things are happening this year at our school besides the Apollo Project.
- We changed our Boys and Girls Club to the “Bengals Club” and students have had a great time after school learning new skills like dance, basketball and cooking.
- We were lucky enough to get the Beverly Taylor Sorensen Art Grant and now have a part time Art Teacher here! Mrs. Debbie Cook has joined our staff and is here for two weeks on and two weeks off. Ask your student about the art projects they have been doing.
- We are continuing our partnership with the Scera doing our Outreach Program. We love being so close to this wonderful Center for the Arts and having the opportunity to participate there.
- We are starting something this year that will really bond our school, even more than it is now. Keep your eyes peeled because it is coming in the next few weeks. The students will be talking about it when they come home, I assure you. It is a surprise so you will have to wait, along with the kids!
- Our PTA has so many fun things planned this year. Be watching for weekly updates from the school and communication that comes home with your child as well. They are great at keeping the Facebook page and Instagram account updated, so check those often.
We love being able to partner with you. Please watch for ways you can be involved at the school, starting with checking your child’s backpack, encouraging them to read every night, and getting them to school on time everyday. Thank you for your support and for all you add to our school. Each day you entrust us with your precious children and we love what we do. Our most important goal is to help all students achieve at high levels.
Here’s to a Magical Year!
Lori Bellitti, Principal